Job Posting: Communications Manager
About The Gordon Foundation
The Gordon Foundation is a philanthropic foundation based in Toronto, Canada. The Foundation undertakes research, leadership development and public dialogue so that public policies in Canada reflect a commitment to collaborative stewardship of our freshwater resources and to a people-driven, equitable and evolving North. Over the past quarter century, The Gordon Foundation has invested over $37 million in a wide variety of northern community projects and freshwater protection initiatives.
About the Role
This role provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to amplify the scope and impact of key programs supported by The Gordon Foundation. This unique role offers a mandate to leverage traditional and social media networks, and writing and communications skills to build awareness of the work of the Foundation, and reinforce its well-established brand nationally.
The successful candidate will be a highly organized and detail-oriented self-starter who is a strategic thinker and communicator, and enjoys the challenge of a broad range of responsibilities. Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Communications Manager will work closely with all Foundation staff to develop and implement a communications strategy that will leverage and expand media and public relations. The Communications Manager will be responsible for all internal and external communications, will support the production of related publications, and will manage media relations for key events and announcements.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Implement a Foundation-wide communications strategy and proactively seek opportunities to raise the profile of the Foundation
- Ensure alignment of key messaging with key stakeholders.
- Develop high-quality, original and comprehensive communications materials.
- Explore new ideas in the digital landscape to more effectively and efficiently meet the Foundation’s objectives and mission.
- Manage and grow social media channels, and optimize website performance.
- Ensure that all Foundation social media platforms are updated daily with relevant news and information. Live-tweeting during events when necessary.
- Update the website with relevant news, event listings, and program information.
- Track success metrics of communications activities.
- Identify strategic media contacts and strengthen media interest in the Foundation’s programs.
- Draft and release media alerts surrounding major events or announcements.
- Ensure regular flow of information to key media contacts on updates, progress, and milestones.
- Liaison with media to coordinate interviews.
Publications/Reports & Events
- Expand distribution lists and grow stakeholder engagement online and at events.
- Coordinate the professional design and printing of major publications, and ensure copies of all publications and communications materials are available and accessible.
- Manage the production and distribution of the newsletter and annual report.
- Design and write program and communications materials using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. Occasional design of official publications.
- Assist program and operations staff with funding report requirements by providing input on content generation and final copy edits.
- Assist program staff in the development and execution of successful event strategies.
- Ensure consistent brand messaging and identity across all communications platforms.
- Work with staff to enhance branding and leverage brand building opportunities.
- Assure correct use of The Gordon Foundation logo on all documents and websites. Also assuring that sponsors’/partners’ logos are used appropriately on all documents and websites.
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications or a related discipline.
- Minimum five years’ communications experience, preferably for a charity or non-profit.
- Excellent writing skills for various audiences, including expertise in plain language and copy-editing skills. Knowledge of CP Style.
- Strong attention to detail and keen eye for visual design.
- Excellent coordination, organization, and planning.
- Ability to manage diverse projects and shifting priorities within tight timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to build internal and external relationships.
- Experience working with government partners and familiar with public policy.
- Knowledge of back-end website programs such as WordPress.
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
- Familiarity with Mailchimp and/or Salesforce an asset.
- Ability to work efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Interest in Foundation program areas.
How to Apply
The position is based out of The Gordon Foundation’s offices in Toronto. To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: Your resume and cover letter must be received by 11:59pm on Friday, August 16, 2019.