About The Gordon Foundation
The Gordon Foundation is a philanthropic foundation based in Toronto, Canada. The Foundation undertakes research, leadership development and public dialogue so that public policies in Canada reflect a commitment to collaborative stewardship of our freshwater resources and to people-driven, equitable and evolving North.
DataStream is an open access platform for sharing water data. Its mission is to promote knowledge sharing and advance collaborative, evidence-based decision-making. DataStream is supported by The Gordon Foundation and carried out in partnership with regional monitoring networks. There are currently three DataStream hubs:
- Mackenzie DataStream: https://mackenziedatastream.ca
- Atlantic DataStream https://atlanticdatastream.ca
- Lake Winnipeg https: https://lakewinnipegdatastream.ca
A fourth hub, Great Lakes DataStream, is currently under development and will be publicly available in the Fall of 2021.
About the Role
Reporting to the DataStream Manager, the Data Specialist will support the expansion of DataStream, a dynamic, rapidly growing initiative. A major area of focus will be on building relationships with and supporting water monitoring and research organizations in Quebec and other French speaking regions particularly those within the Great Lakes and St-Lawrence regions.
The successful candidate will be:
- Fully fluent in French
- An excellent communicator in French and English (both written and verbal) and capable of translating complex concepts to non-expert audiences
- Technically strong in their field and capable of applying these skills to find practical solutions to support DataStream’s diverse user community.
- A self-starter with good judgement and the ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Excellent problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about improving access to water data in Canada.
This is a one-year contract with the possibility to become a full-time position. This is a remote position and will involve some travelling (once COVID restrictions allow).
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$70,000 per year with a competitive benefits package.
Key Areas of Responsibility
With input from the team, the Data Specialist will have a broad range of responsibilities including the following:
- Grow DataStream’s user community with an initial focus on French-speaking monitoring groups in Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick. This will include:
- Research and outreach to identify monitoring and research groups in these regions
- Relationship building with new organizations including community-based monitoring groups
- Hands-on support to help data holders publish their data on DataStream
- Liaising with laboratories used by DataStream contributors to streamline data upload processes
- Support capacity-building in data management and water science. This will include:
- Design and delivery of webinars and training workshops on technical topics
- Technical input on the development of multi-media communications products including “how to” guides and primers on water science.
- Writing web content, blogs and other materials as needed
- Help improve the DataStream platform to meet user needs. This will include:
- Contributing scientific expertise to inform key development processes
- Performing research required to develop new features and input throughout the development process to bring them to fruition
- Testing of new DataStream features to ensure they perform as designed prior to release
- Maintain collaborative relationship with partners and advisors in the water community.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- French speaker with a high level of fluency in English
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in hydrogeology, limnology, aquatic ecology, hydrology or related discipline
- Experience in water monitoring/research and with water quality datasets
- Proficiency in Excel and Google sheets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – can distill technical information to audiences with a wide range of expertise in water science and computer skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Highly organized, a self-starter, capable of juggling a range of tasks and hard-working
- Ability to travel
- Strong preference will be given to applicants identifying as Indigenous (Inuit, First Nations or Métis).
Additional Desired Experience/Qualifications
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Premiere, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Knowledge or experience working with a software team
- Experience working with federal, provincial or territorial governments
- Experience working with Indigenous governments and organizations
How to Apply
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Data Specialist” in the subject line. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Your resume and cover letter must be received by 5 pm eastern on May 31, 2021.