Job Opportunity: Data Specialist
About The Gordon Foundation
The Gordon Foundation is a philanthropic foundation based in Toronto, Canada. The Foundation undertakes research, leadership development and public dialogue so that public policies in Canada reflect a commitment to collaborative stewardship of our freshwater resources and to a people-driven, equitable and evolving North. DataStream is an initiative developed by The Gordon Foundation.
About the Role
This position will support the operation and expansion of DataStream, a dynamic, rapidly growing initiative. Reporting to the DataStream Program Manager, the Data Specialist will support the continued growth of DataStream in all hubs. Working alongside the DataStream team, the Data Specialist will contribute data science expertise to grow DataStream’s data holdings and support our user community.
The ideal candidate is:
- Technically strong in data science and capable of applying these skills to find practical solutions to support DataStream’s diverse user community
- Skilled in scripting and programming using Python
- Experience building and maintaining integrations between data systems (i.e. API and ETL)
- Good communicator (both written and verbal) with capacity to convey complex concepts to non-experts
- Passionate about improving access to water data in Canada
The salary range for this role is $45,000 to $70,000 commensurate with experience. This position can be remote and may involve some travel.
Key Areas of Responsibility
With input from the team, the Data Specialist will have a broad range of responsibilities including the following:
- Grow DataStream’s user community across DataStream’s hub regions;
- Liaise with DataStream contributors to format and upload data to DataStream;
- Contribute to the development of the data upload, download and ETL (extract, transform, load) processes;
- Contribute to the continual evolution of DataStream’s data schema, available here:https://github.com/gordonfn/schema;
- Provide input and perform testing on new DataStream features to ensure they perform as designed prior to release;
- Maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external partners and advisors in the water community;
- Design and deliver presentations, training sessions, and webinars on the DataStream platform and water-related technical topics.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in science or engineering
- 1-2 years education or equivalent work experience in data science, computer science, software engineering, or related field.
- Experience managing large and complex datasets using systematic processes for parsing, normalizing and structuring data;
- Proficiency with Excel and Google sheets;
- Proficiency in a coding language for the purposes of data wrangling and cleaning, e.g. R or Python;
- Detail oriented and able to juggle multiple projects
- A self-starter with good judgement and the ability to work independently and as an effective team member;
Additional Desired Experience/Qualifications
- Bilingual in French and English
- Experience in GIS and mapping (ArcGIS / QGIS)
- Experience in water and/or environmental monitoring and research
- Knowledge or experience working with a software team
- Experience working with federal, provincial or territorial governments
- Experience working with Indigenous governments and organizations
- Strong preference will be given to applicants identifying as Indigenous (Inuit, First Nations or Métis).
How to Apply
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Data Specialist” in the subject line.
Your resume and cover letter must be received by September 28, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.